The creamiest (using no cream) fall soup in the books! A must try! My fall-loving self couldn't resist whipping this up the other day while I waited for my sweetheart to get home from late night class... and he loved it. Give it a try.
1 medium - large butternut squash (about 2 lbs.), cubed
4 medium carrots, kept as is
1/2 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
salt and pepper, to taste
3 1/2 -4 cups chicken stock (*start with 3 1/2 and you can always add more in later if your soup is too thick)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp. cinnamon (*if you don't want the cinnamon taste too strong, start with 1 1/2 tsp.)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 can lite coconut milk
green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place tin foil over a baking sheet. Arrange cubed butternut squash, onion, garlic and carrots on baking sheet. Half of the sheet should consist of butternut squash, about a third filled with onions, and then the carrots to the side (picture below). Drizzle lightly with avocado oil and salt and pepper.
2. Bake veggies for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, or until starting to brown and soften.
3. While veggies are in the oven, pour chicken stock into stockpot over the stove and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Pour chicken stock into blender along with roasted veggies when they are all cooked. Blend until smooth (on the "soup" setting if you have a Blendtec). Pour back into your stockpot. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut milk, and pinch of salt and stir gently. Heat on medium heat until ready to serve.
5. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
ENJOY THE CREAMIEST FALL SOUP IN THE BOOKS.