This recipe will fill your home with a cozy smell and is the perfect dish for a rainy, or cold evening. Pair with cottage cheese, and you'll have yourself an amazing meal! ~344 calories per serving!
Makes one pot pie, servings: 8
Ingredients for crusts:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
4 Tbsp. low-fat milk
1/2 cup oats
**Combine ingredients in mixer/Bosch and separate into two balls. Roll out the first ball and press crust down/shape into pie pan. Roll out and shape the other ball into a circle for the pie top. Using saran wrap, wrap both crusts and place in refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
Ingredients for the filling:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
8 oz. (1/2 lb.) bag of frozen vegetables: I like to use the frozen peas, carrots, and corn
garlic powder, black pepper, salt, dried thyme, to taste
1 cup low-fat milk
1/2 pound cooked and shredded chicken breast
up to 1/4 cup flour, adding in slowly
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. While oven is heating up, in a large pot over medium-high heat, saute diced onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent.
3. Add chicken broth, frozen veggies, spices, and milk. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and stir.
4. Slowly sprinkle flour into the mixture, stirring constantly, so the sauce thickens. Stop adding flour when it has reached a thick and creamy consistency. Simmer for another 5 minutes and then remove from heat. If sauce isn't thick enough, try adding a little bit more flour.
5. Pour mixture into the crust-lined pan. Top with second crust, seal edge and cut several slits in top with a knife.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
7. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.