Pretty much a one-pot dish that comes together quick and easy! My husband loves the addition of the shrimp- filling, yet doesn't leave you feeling too heavy. If you want to leave out the shrimp, and add more sauteed spinach, go right ahead! Serves 6-10.
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed (*I always just use the pre-cooked)
1 package (16 oz.) whole wheat fusilli pasta
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil, more if needed
1 can (14 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes
1 jar marinara sauce (I like the one from Sprouts)
4 or more handfuls of fresh spinach
1-2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes *optional
1 package (8 oz.) mozzarella pearls
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
2. In a large saute pan, heat oil to medium.
3. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
4. Add seasonings, tomatoes and spinach and saute for 5 minutes
5. Add shrimp to tomatoes and spinach mixture and cook until light pink in color and no longer translucent in center. Adjust seasonings if needed.
6. Add 1-2 cups marinara, more if needed.
7. Toss with pasta and top with mozzarella pearls. Add more marinara if it seems to dry. Enjoy!