A healthier version of the dessert we all love. Happy fall!
For slow cooker:
4 large honeycrisp apples, or apple of choice, peeled and sliced into thin slices
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
For caramel sauce [from CleanEats&Treats]:
1 c. coconut milk (full fat or lite)
1/2 c. coconut sugar (brown sugar will also work)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 1 1/2 Tbsp. water if sauce needs some thickening
1. Put apples, water, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in the slow cooker and put on low for 2-3 hours. Side note: your house will start to smell amazingggggg.
2. As the slow cooker is doing its thing, combine other ingredients for topping until crumbly.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
4. When apples are nice and soft, divide into the bottom of two 6" round cake pans or one 8x8" glass pan. Cover apples with topping, and stick in oven for 25 minutes.
5. In a small pot over medium heat, mix coconut sugar, water, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Immediately add coconut milk, pouring in slowly. Add salt and vanilla and whisk well. Simmer for about 15 minutes and add cornstarch and water mixture if thickening is needed. Stir occasionally to prevent sauce from burning. Once desired thickness is achieved, remove from heat and drizzle over the top of the apple crisp. You won't need a lot to sweeten it! You can save the extra caramel for something yummy like apple nachos. :)
6. Serve warm, topped with heavy cream or whipped coconut cream... or heck, even a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :) Enjoy!
I spy some little tiny fingers in the picture above. :)